Wednesday, October 22, 2008

(Mental Eyeroll)

Tonight after making the rush after work trip to pick up Jade before the dealership closed, I remembered that we had literacy night at Duchess' school. Which we thought was a manditory meeting. Whatever. So I met the kids and The Man there.

It was in actuality a meeting for the teachers to laminte that they only had 2.5 hours a day to teach our kindergarteners. Therefore it was to teach us parents how to jump in and assist in our teaching our children.

Sight word practice, every night. Reading (for grades), every night. Working on their names, every night. Sounding out simple words, every night. The list went on. I got a headache. And I realized just how much I miss California, Texas and Louisiana schools. They actually taught my kids. What I did at home was extra work, not "necessary for the development of my child or else they'll be stupid forever" work. OMG! I have to get off this subject before I shake something loose.

Anywho, while listening to my lecture, I mean speech, oh what ever, I noticed that Duchess' classroom was decorated with little paperpeople, decorated in high fashion for Halloween. We completely forgot that they'd sent the paperperson home with instructions to completely dress them (with real clothes!) for fun! And so on the ride home (cause I may have stood up at the 1 hour mark and walked out with my kids) I told Duchess that we would finish hers to take to school.

The instant we step foot in the house, it was on. The kid wouldn't let me get my other shoe off. So we got busy.
Duchess had already "helped" by coloring some of her person and adding a face (with the worse grill I've seen in a long time), so I sacrificed a barbie outfit and got busy.......

What this kid doesn't seem to appreciate is that I DON'T SEW. Ever. I pay people to hem, reattach buttons and so forth. Ripped pants? Toss them. I don't do sewing. So for me to hunt down a kit and actually sew this outfit on this doll is huge.
Now the hard part was hair. I tried to cut some hair off of their dolls for this, but they had a fit. Weenies. So The Man shredded some white rope, and when we ran out of glue? We used spray adhesive that The Man uses when working on cars. Ghetto fabulous.....When the hair was attached, we then weighed it down with my trusty ever-present lotion bottle. (Hey I'm dry!)

Then rather than have me bleed all over the damn thing, The Man jumped in to finish the sewing. Thank you to his grandma and the Navy for teaching him to thread a needle. And come on, really has he ever been more studly than watching him sew a dress on a paperdoll for his precious Duchess?

When it was all said and done?
The Bride of Frankenstein.......appropriate I think, it matches her grill.....
Although Duchess says "she's a Barbie".
You say Po-tat-o, I say Tator.........

Labels: ,

Posted by Hope4Grace @ 8:37 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Louisiana? Seriously? You must have been in a good district. ;-)

That whole sewing thing is so funny to me. I'm just like you but my man has his own sewing machine. So does my daughter. They work on "projects" together. He hemmed my son's dress pants last week!

When my daughter had to make a 3-D cow last week, my husband was all mad that I didn't order a stuffed cow pattern in time. Since she had to use modeling clay, I was in charge.

There is something so hot about a real man's man who can do those kinds of things with/for his daughter.

Posted by Blogger Tuna Girl @ 9:08 PM, October 22, 2008 #
 

that is one fine lookin paper barbie!!

the man rocks. i don't sew either. i can't, nor do i want to learn.

Posted by Blogger Marchelle @ 9:14 PM, October 22, 2008 #
 

What a beautiful Barbie.... I must say we had a similar project and I am 100% sure yours is a winner. You both rock.
So does it seem strange that when the kids bring home things like this, the parents do all the work. I think the teachers do it on purpose so they can all laugh at how bad we are at making things....
They know the kids don't do these projects.....it is a conspiracy I tell you.

Posted by Blogger BigestBrat @ 4:21 AM, October 23, 2008 #
 

I want to know how many minutes it took you to 'transition' this project to The Man.

My guess is 7.

Posted by Blogger Brad @ 2:56 PM, October 23, 2008 #
 

After reading the whole school thing it does make me so glad that I live in CA. Do they not know that teaching these things is what they are paid for? We have homework every night, but it's work that has already been shown and taught in the classroom, it's review at home and the kids should know what to do. Because we all know that once you get past the 4th grade I can't help with CRAP. If I went on that show Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, I would drop out immediately. So sad I tell you.

The Man sewing is awesome. And I had to laugh because I know absolutely NOTHING when it comes to sewing. When I needed the hem in my pants fixed I hand them over to my Man. And when it comes to school projects I SUCK!!! I have no creativity in me what-so-ever!!!

Posted by Blogger ♥ Becky ♥ @ 9:16 PM, October 24, 2008 #
 
<< Home

Recent thoughts!

When a door slams shut, God always pushes a fresh breeze through a window! Just keep swimming, swimmming, swimming.>

Cast of Hope4Grace

IMG_1418

Dave/Me, being our usual goofballs selves

tyler

Okay, this was last month... happy now?

SDC12079

Princess, my 12 year old queen in training

SDC12078

Duchess, my 8 year old "baby"

IMAG0308

Murphy, our little man

I LUV nosy peeps!

My Girls

daddys+girls

I Have A Sick Sense of Humor!

omg

Bored? Read More

  • About Me
  • Are you Serious?
  • Being the Boss
  • Duchess
  • Eternal House Hunt
  • Eternal Job Hunt
  • Family Smamily
  • Flash Friday
  • Food, Taboo #1
  • Gas, Taboo #2
  • Girlies
  • Great Parenting 101
  • Grooming aka Hair Color
  • Happy Paper Writer
  • Homeschooling
  • Idiots
  • Latest Obsession
  • Military Wife
  • Old School
  • Random Pictures
  • Pissed Off
  • Ponderings
  • Princess
  • Shopping
  • Speak English
  • The Never Ending Move
  • Video
  • Welcome to the Boonies
  • Wordless Wednesday
  • Yes, I am...

  • Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones